EcoliWiki, a component of PortEco, is a wiki-based system for finding, editing, and adding information about E. coli K-12 and other model organism strains of E. coli. EcoliWiki is being constructed to include information about bacteriophage, plasmids, and mobile genetic elements.
EcoliWiki is supported by NIGMS U24GM088849, and was previously supported by NIGMS U24GM077905.
Purpose & Aims
The purpose of EcoliWiki is to provide a community-centered website for the annotation of all non-pathogenic strains of E. coli. Information should be easily accessible and correct, and users have the right to edit any information they feel is incorrect.
Most of the E. coli information was initially seeded with a subset of information from parsing EcoCyc data dumps. For phage λ and the F plasmid, Genbank accessions were converted to GFF, which was parsed into the appropriate tables. Other sources of content include:
- user additions
- monthly addition of annotations from EcoCyc
- structural data from the PDB
- domains and motif information from InterPro
- various databases including EcoGene, RegulonDB, Genbank, GenoBase, ASAP
- many many scientific papers
EcoliWiki provides REST web services as part of the PortEco Web Services infrastructure.
- keyword - currently searches based on a single keyword
- gene - prototype to extract gene details from the wiki
- is_edited - shows numbers of human revisions to EcoliWiki pages.
For more detail about the EcoliWiki web services, see Help:Web Services.